Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cooking Club: Ramen w/ Beef, Shiitakes & Spinach

Have you made your Janurary recipes yet? I am going to post the reviews on Tuesday, so you still have a chance to submit yours and get some blog love. I realized there are only 4 Saturdays in February, and so even though I haven't made this one yet I had better post the first recipe.

This recipe was submitted by my sister-in-law Rachel, who I stole the picture from her blog here. I am excited for this one as my kids love Ramen, so if I tell them we are having Ramen for dinner, well they will love it right? Time will tell.

Ramen with Beef, Shiitakes, and Spinach

The Best 30-Minute Recipe (From the editors of Cook’s Illustrated)

Ramen noodles are cheap and they cook quickly making them a convenient dinner for the time-crunched cook. Pitch the seasoning packets in the trash and use these noodles with fresh ingredients to make a flavorful meal.

12 ounces blade steak, sliced into thin strips
8 tsp soy sauce

2 TBLS vegetable oil

8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 TBLS grated fresh ginger

3 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth

4 (3-ounce) packages ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded

3 TBLS dry sherry*

2 tsp sugar

1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach

Pat beef dry with paper towels and toss with 2 teaspoons soy sauce. Heat 1 TBLS oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat until just smoking. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up clumps, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to clean bowl.

Add remaining TBLS oil to skillet and return to med-high heat until shimmering. Add mushroom and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in broth. Break bricks of ramen into small chunks and add to skillet. Bring to simmer and cook, tossing ramen constantly with tongs to separate, until ramen is just tender but there is still liquid in the pan, about 2 minutes.

Stir in remaining soy sauce, sherry, and sugar. Stir in spinach, handful at a time, until spinach is wilted and sauce is thickened. Stir in beef and serve.

*Rachel said: I just omitted the sherry completely. I don’t have any and didn’t know a substitute. It turned out wonderfully!

Happy Cooking!!

12 comments:

  1. Substitute red wines with cherry juice and white wine with apple juice.

    I wonder if apple/berry would work?

    You can just use water also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good heavens, you're killing me with that tasty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome! I found you on FF, I am a new follower! Want to come cook for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a surprise for you at:
    http://dimes2vines.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious. My son, especially would love this! So would hubby minus the shitakes (I am happy and amazed he east anything that grows)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I love noodly, veggetably dinners especially topped with mushrooms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Yum! I wish my husband hadn't gone veg on me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy. And I second the apple juice substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So... lemme ask... is there any way to make this without ten thousand milligrams of sodium? I blow up like a balloon when I eat anything like Ramen Noodles.

    Coming from We Believe Blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SO making this this week!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis